Bob Friesenhahn <> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> >
> > It would be interesting to see when zpool versions >28 will
> > be available in the open forks. Particularly encryption is
> > a very useful functionality.
> Illumos advanced to zpool version 5000 and this is available in the
> latest OpenIndiana development release.  Does that make you happy?
> As far as which Solaris derivate has the best future, it is clear that
> Illumos has a lot of development energy right now and there is little
> reason to believe that this energy will cease.  Illumos-derived
> distributions may come and go but it looks like Illumos has a future,
> particularly once it frees itself from all Sun-derived binary
> components.

FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT is at zpool version 5000 as well.
It supports ZFS-independent full disk encryption through
geli and gbde.

I've been using ZFS on geli since the ZFS import in 2007 and
while there are still a couple of unresolved bugs, overall I'm
quite satisfied.

Of course FDE is less flexible than the per-dataset encryption
offered by Oracle ZFS, but personally I prefer to encrypt all the
data in the pool anyway and Oracle ZFS is not designed to do that:

I certainly wouldn't mind additionally being able to use
encryption inside ZFS, though.