On 09/13/12 07:44 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris) wrote:

I send a replication data stream from one host to another. (and receive).

I discovered that after receiving, I need to remove the auto-snapshot property on the receiving side, and set the readonly property on the receiving side, to prevent accidental changes (including auto-snapshots.)

Question #1:Actually, do I need to remove the auto-snapshot on the receiving side?Or is it sufficient to simply set the readonly property?Will the readonly property prevent auto-snapshots from occurring?

So then, sometime later, I want to send an incremental replication stream.I need to name an incremental source snap on the sending side...which needs to be the latest matching snap that exists on both sides.

Question #2:What's the best way to find the latest matching snap on both the source and destination?At present, it seems, I'll have to build a list of sender snaps, and a list of receiver snaps, and parse and search them, till I find the latest one that exists in both.For shell scripting, this is very non-trivial.

That's pretty much how I do it. Get the two (sorted) sets of snapshots, remove those that only exist on the remote end (ageing) and send those that only exist locally. The first incremental pair will be the last common snapshot and the first unique local snapshot.

I haven't tried this in a script, but it's quite straightforward in C++ using the standard library set container and algorithms.

--
Ian.