On Oct 4, 2012, at 9:07 AM, Dan Swartzendruber <dswa...@druber.com> wrote:

> On 10/4/2012 11:48 AM, Richard Elling wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 4, 2012, at 8:35 AM, Dan Swartzendruber <dswa...@druber.com> wrote:
>>

>>> This whole thread has been fascinating.  I really wish we (OI) had the two
>>> following things that freebsd supports:
>>>
>>> 1. HAST - provides a block-level driver that mirrors a local disk to a
>>> network "disk" presenting the result as a block device using the GEOM API.
>>
>> This is called AVS in the Solaris world.
>>
>> In general, these systems suffer from a fatal design flaw: the authoritative
>> view of the
>> data is not also responsible for the replication. In other words, you can
>> provide coherency
>> but not consistency. Both are required to provide a single view of the data.
>
> Can you expand on this?

I could, but I've already written a book on clustering. For a more general
approach
to understanding clustering, I can highly recommend Pfister's In Search of
Clusters.
http://www.amazon.com/In-Search-Clusters-2nd-Edition/dp/0138997098

NB, clustered storage is the same problem as clustered compute wrt state.

>>> 2. CARP.
>>
>> This exists as part of the OHAC project.
>>  -- richard
>>

> These are both freely available?

Yes.
 -- richard

--

richard.ell...@richardelling.com
+1-760-896-4422

  • Re: [zfs-discuss]... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
    • Re: [zfs-dis... Jim Klimov
    • Re: [zfs-dis... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
      • Re: [zfs... Jim Klimov
        • Re: ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
          • ... Jim Klimov
          • ... Dan Swartzendruber
          • ... Dan Swartzendruber
          • ... Richard Elling