I've been using this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816117157

for my Solaris/Open Indiana installations because it has 8 ports.  One of the
issues that this card seems to have, is that certain failures can cause other
secondary problems in other drives on the same SAS connector.  I use mirrors
for my storage machines with 4 pairs, and just put half the mirror on one side
and the other drive on the other side.  This, in general, has solved my
problems.  When a drive fails, I might see more than one drive no functioning.
I can remove (I use hot swap bays such as
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994097) a drive, and
restore the other to the pool to find which of the failed drives is actually
the problem.  What had happened before, was that my case was not moving enough
air, and the hot drives had caused odd problems with failure.

For the money, and the experience I have with these controllers, I'd still use
them, they are 3GBs controllers.  If you want 6GBs controllers, then some of
the other suggestions might be a better choice for you.

Gregg