From: Peter Tripp [mailto:pe...@psych.columbia.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:08 PM
To: disc...@lists.illumos.org; zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: [discuss] Hardware Recommendations: SAS2 JBODs

Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a couple of JBODs.  Up until now I've been relatively
lucky with finding hardware that plays very nicely with ZFS.  All my gear
currently in production uses LSI SAS controllers (3801e, 9200-16e, 9211-8i)
with backplanes powered by LSI SAS expanders (Sun x4250, Sun J4400, etc).
But I'm in the market for SAS2 JBODs to support a large number 3.5inch SAS
disks (60+ 3TB disks to start).

I'm aware of potential issues with SATA drives/interposers and the whole
SATA Tunneling Protocol (STP) nonsense, so I'm going to stick to a pure SAS
setup.  Also, since I've had trouble with in the past with daisy-chained SAS
JBODs I'll probably stick with one SAS 4x cable (SFF8088) per JBOD and
unless there were a compelling reason for multi-pathing I'd probably stick
to a single controller.  If possible I'd rather buy 20 packs of enterprise
SAS disks with 5yr warranties and have the JBOD come with empty trays, but
would also consider buying disks with the JBOD if the price wasn't too
crazy.

Does anyone have any positive/negative experiences with any of the following
with ZFS:
 * SuperMicro SC826E16-R500LPB (2U 12 drives, dual 500w PS, single LSI
SAS2X28 expander)
 * SuperMicro SC846BE16-R920B (4U 24 drives, dual 920w PS, single unknown
expander)
 * Dell PowerVault MD 1200 (2U 12 drives, dual 600w PS, dual unknown
expanders)
 * HP StorageWorks D2600 (2U 12 drives, dual 460w PS, single/dual unknown
expanders)

I'm leaning towards the SuperMicro stuff, but every time I order SuperMicro
gear there's always something missing or wrongly configured so some of the
cost savings gets eaten up with my time figuring out where things went wrong
and returning/ordering replacements.  The Dell/HP gear I'm sure is fine, but
buying disks from them gets pricey quick. The last time I looked they
charged $150 extra per disk for when the only added value was a proprietary
sled a shorter warranty (3yr vs 5yr).

I'm open to other JBOD vendors too, was just really just curious what folks
were using when they needed more than two dozen 3.5" SAS disks for use with
ZFS.

Thanks
-Peter

b6