> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Jim Klimov
>
> this is
> the part I am not certain about - it is roughly as cheap to READ the
> gzip-9 datasets as it is to read lzjb (in terms of CPU decompression).

Nope.  I know LZJB is not LZO, but I'm starting from a point of saying that LZO
is specifically designed to be super-fast, low-memory for decompression.  (As
claimed all over the LZO webpage, as well as wikipedia, and supported by my own
personal experience using lzop).

So for comparison to LZJB, see here:
http://denisy.dyndns.org/lzo_vs_lzjb/

LZJB is, at least according to these guys, even faster than LZO.  So I'm
confident concluding that lzjb (default) decompression is significantly faster
than zlib (gzip) decompression.