Andrew Werchowiecki wrote:

             Total disk size is 9345 cylinders
             Cylinder size is 12544 (512 byte) blocks
Cylinders
      Partition   Status    Type          Start   End   Length    %
      =========   ======    ============  =====   ===   ======   ===
          1                 EFI               0  9345    9346    100

You only have a p1 (and for a GPT/EFI labeled disk, you can only
have p1 - no other FDISK partitions are allowed).

partition> print
Current partition table (original):
Total disk sectors available: 117214957 + 16384 (reserved sectors)
Part Tag Flag First Sector Size Last Sector
  0        usr    wm                64        2.00GB          4194367
  1        usr    wm           4194368       53.89GB          117214990
  2 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  3 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  4 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  5 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  6 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
  8   reserved    wm         117214991        8.00MB          117231374

You have an s0 and s1.

This isn’t the output from when I did it but it is exactly the same steps that I followed. Thanks for the info about slices, I may give that a go later on. I’m not keen on that because I have clear evidence (as in zpools set up this way, right now, working, without issue) that GPT partitions of the style shown above work and I want to see why it doesn’t work in my set up rather than simply ignoring and moving on.

You would have to blow away the partitioning you have, and create an FDISK
partitioned disk (not EFI), and then create a p1 and p2 partition. (Don't
use the 'partition' subcommand, which confusingly creates solaris slices.)
Give the FDISK partitions a partition type which nothing will recognise,
such as 'other', so that nothing will try and interpret them as OS partitions.
Then you can use them as raw devices, and they should be portable between
OS's which can handle FDISK partitioned devices.

--
Andrew