On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 12:13:30 AM UTC-4, Daniel Becker wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2014, at 7:41 PM, Eric Jaw <nais...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> I started using ZFS about a few weeks ago, so a lot of it is still new to
> me. I'm actually not completely certain about "proper procedure" for
> repairing a pool. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to clear the errors after
> the scrub, before or after (little things). I'm not sure if it even
> matters. When I restarted the VM, the checksum counts cleared on its own.
>

> The counts are not maintained across reboots.
>

> On the first scrub it repaired roughly 1.65MB. None on the second scub.
> Even after the scrub there were still 43 data errors. I was expecting they
> were going to go away.
>

> errors: 43 data errors, use '-v' for a list
>

> What this means is that in these 43 cases, the system was not able to
> correct the error (i.e., both drives in a mirror returned bad data).
>

> This is an excellent question. They're in 'Normal' mode. I remember
> looking in to this before and decided normal mode should be fine. I might
> be wrong. So thanks for bringing this up. I'll have to check it out again.
>

> The reason I was asking is that these symptoms would also be consistent
> with something outside the VM writing to the disks behind the VM’s back;
> that’s unlikely to happen accidentally with disk images, but raw disks are
> visible to the host OS as such, so it may be as simple as Windows deciding
> that it should initialize the “unformatted” (really, formatted with an
> unknown filesystem) devices. Or it could be a raid controller that stores
> its array metadata in the last sector of the array’s disks.
>
> I read about this being a possible issue, so I created a partition for all
the drives so Windows see's it as a drive with a partition, rather than
unformatted. No raid controller for this setup

> memtest86 and memtest86+ for 18 hours came out okay. I'm on my third scrub
> and the number or errors has remained at 43. Checksum errors continue to
> pile up as the pool is getting scrubbed.
>
> I'm just as flustered about this. Thanks again for the input.
>

> Given that you’re seeing a fairly large number of errors in your scrubs,
> the fact that memtest86 doesn’t find anything at all very strongly suggests
> that this is not actually a memory issue.

It very well likely may not be a memory issue. The tricky part of this
setup is, it's running through a VM with, what-should-be, direct access to
the raw drives. It could be a driver, perhaps that doesn't want to play
nice.

I've discovered that with a NAT network, port forwarding does not work
properly, so I'm not discarding possible issues with VirtualBox

--

---