I have several hundred pages (in ~3 notebooks) of Zim data that was in
Dropbox for a long time. Two weeks ago I switch to a private ownCloud
instance of mine (hosted on prgmr.com).

My thoughts:

* Use the ownCloud desktop sync tool (free for desktop OSes; pay $1 I think
for Android and OS X clients -- of course there's no Zim front-end for
Android or OS X yet anyway, but see next note). The desktop sync tool uses
WebDav and also polls the back-end every 30 seconds to ask if there are
upstream changes. In practice it works about as well as Dropbox and Google
Drive. TRANSPARENT to any desktop apps that just want a pile of files.

* You can edit Zim pages using ownCloud's built-in text editor in the
desktop web front-end, and in the Android or OS X clients -- great for
devices where Zim is not installed.

* Be sure to a) tell the ownCloud sync client never to sync folders named
'.zim'; or b) make sure all your notebooks have the Shared property set to
True.

* I have noticed occasionally that Zim says something about a temp file it
couldn't write or delete ... or something. But if I dismiss the dialog box
and wait a few seconds, the problem goes away. I have not lost data. If I
can ever figure out how to reproduce it, I will grab debug output and try
to open a coherent bug report.

Bottom line: ownCloud backend + ownCloud desktop sync + Zim is a winning
combination.