Then why did the US agree to that in the first place, and why did the ultimatum refer
the 1998 UN referendum? Sounds like someone in the US state department goofed, and
that's why George III has to redraw the line in the sand. I agree with you about the
presidential palaces (I saw a map showing Buckingham Palace's grounds superimposed on
the Iraqi presidential palace, and all I could say was I didn't realize Buckingham
Palace was so tiny! :-)

Dan R Allen wrote:

> Marc:
> Now that George III has been caught by surprise by the Iranian agreement
> with the UN resolution, chief IAEA inspector Hans Blix is negotiating
> with Iraqi reps, who have agreed to inspection without limitation,
> according to the 1998 UN Security Council resolution the US authored.
> Bush will have trouble changing the line in the sand but at least the UN
> will be baq in Iraq.
> http://my.netscape.com/corewidgets/news/story.psp?cat=51180&id=200209301158000149728
>
> Dan:
> I think the sticking point is that 12 square miles of 'un-inspectable'
> area. You can hide an awful lot of weapons development in a space that
> large.
> And if you read the article, the Iraqi reps have _not_ agreed to the
> inspection without limitation _yet_. That is what Mr. Blix wants, and we
> won't know if he gets it until after these talks are over.

They *have* agreed to the original ultimatum, the one that was based on the 1998
Security Council resolution, which was drafted by the U.S.

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling
short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
--Michelangelo Buonarroti

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the author solely;
its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the authorís employer, nor those of
any
organization with which the author may be associated.