Dan R Allen wrote:

> Marc:
> Then why did the US agree to that in the first place, and why did the
> ultimatum refer to
> the 1998 UN referendum? Sounds like someone in the US state department
> goofed, and
> that's why George III has to redraw the line in the sand. I agree with you
> about the
> presidential palaces (I saw a map showing Buckingham Palace's grounds
> superimposed on
> the Iraqi presidential palace, and all I could say was I didn't realize
> Buckingham
> Palace was so tiny! :-)
>
> Dan:
> Umm, because the President at the time was more concerned about cigars?
> If a poorly written document was agreed to, without careful consideration,
> in the past, shouldn't someone try to correct the mistake once it's
> discovered?

The issue isn't the contents of the 98 ultimatum per se, it's that *George Bush*
demanded that Iraq comply to *that* particular ultimatum. And in any case, it was
written by the US permament representative to the Security Council, who may or may not
smoke cigars. Bush didn't know his stuff, that's all, and now he's shown that he's just
going to have himself a war come hell or high water. Maybe he should have read the 98
ultimatum before he threw it at Saddam's feet.

> Dan R Allen wrote:

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling
short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
--Michelangelo Buonarroti

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the author solely;
its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the authorís employer, nor those of
any
organization with which the author may be associated.