Just read over Elder Nelson's talk when it comes out in the Ensign. I myself have a
difficult time seeing how people can still, with all due respect, "not
get it" after hearing this talk. He said "as a CHURCH we should renounce war" and
emphasized that it would be the descendants of Ishmael and Jacob who would
be the peacemakers in the region. I think it's pretty hard to wriggle out of that one.
 And to your BoM reading I hope you add some selective D&C reading,
too, especially a revelation given at the height of persecution of the Saints.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Within the first chapters of the Book of Mormon it talks about Nephi chopping off
>the head of Laban.
>
> Toward the end of the Book of Mormon it talks about Mormon and Moroni warring
>against the Lamanites.
>
> In between, there is bloodshed and it gives me the impression as long as one is
>fighting for ones homeland and ones family, than war becomes acceptable.
>
> Osama and is band of terrorists are warring against the U.S.
>
> It appears to me that is only a matter of time before Saddam does the same.

I've foreborn specific comment on your questions -- I have a general question at the
end -- but it seems to some people to be only a matter of time before
N. Korea wars against the U.S., so why isn't the US government amassing armaments in
that area? Also, if you're concerned about military dictatorships with
WMD, why continue to give billions every year to Pakistan, which *already has* nuclear
weapons -- tested ones, ready to use. Seems to me you should bomb
Pakistan back to the stone age before you worry about Iraq.

> Should a nation sit back and let it happen or should there be a response?
>
> As LDS, and with what the contents of the Book of Mormon says, in all honesty; is
>there such a thing as a pacifist Mormon?

There can be nothing BUT a pacifist LDS. And for what it's worth, I think almost every
one of your implied assumptions in your question is wrong.

> Vic

But perhaps I've been too shy in expressing my opinion.... ;-)

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling
short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
--Michelangelo Buonarroti

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the author solely;
its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the authorís
employer, nor those of any organization with which the author may be associated.