At some point in the past, Marc wrote:

Incidentally, while I'm against any war of aggression like the one
contemplated
by the US (as I see it), but I'd like to ask US constitutional experts
(amateur
or not, I mean those interested in constitutional affairs), if they feel
that the
legislation now up before the Senate would amount to a "declaration of war"
under the US Constitution. It appears to give the president a kind of blank
cheque to use violence if he sees fit. Is that the same as a declaration of
war, or is the difference just nit-picking?
--------------------------
Due to time constraints and other factors, I have been (mainly) silent on
these threads, but Marc asks a fairly specific question that I would like to
answer.  I don't know why I want to answer.  (Probably at least partly
because I need a break from translating really boring documents.)

I am only answering as an amateur.  And I am also answering without the
benefit of actually hearing the President's speech or reading the actual
resolution passed / being debated.  That being said, I do *not* believe this
is a declaration of war.  And I do not believe America should be in this
type of engagement with Iraq at this time.  As JWR has pointed out many
times, and as I agree with him on this point, I don't think Saddam is a
threat to the US.  If that is the problem we're looking into, I think a much
better case could be made for making war with China.  (I am not saying we
should go to war with China, but the arguments I hear for a war with Iraq
would be much better used to excuse a war with China.)

Regardless, though I think the US, the world, and especially the people of
Iraq would be much better off without Hussein, I don't think that it is the
place of the US to take him out, unless their is compelling evidence that
shows a direct threat to the US.

Interestingly, one of my students says he was convinced by the President's
speech that a war with Iraq to get rid of Hussein was a good idea.  I found
it odd that I, who six months ago would have been the biggest "hawk" in
Japan, was now arguing against US foreign policy to a Japanese citizen, most
of whom are head-in-the-sand "doves."  Still, it hurt when I went to another
place of work and found a flier on my desk that called for opposition to the
US call for war with Iraq.  I guess it's just one of those things, I don't
mind Americans debate, but not from foreigners, who just "don't get it."
(Wasn't that a phrase used on one of these threads?)

Not that I'm not still a hawk.  I believe that the US should vigorously be
trying to find and bring to justice Osama bin Laden and/or others who are
responsible for 9/11 and other terrorist incidents.  While I was in America
last month, Grampa Bill gave me an idea of what he would do in case of
another terrorist attack.  But it was so good, I'll let him tell it.

Bill Lewis AKA
Cousin Bill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Guess what!  I'm published!  Check out this link:
http://www.writers-and-publishers.com/ebooks