Okeley dokely, but can I pass on a good pun first? I forgot to include this in
the original post.

Jon Spencer wrote:

> Marc -
> I congratulate you on an excellent self-analysis, and I do mean this as a
> compliment.
>
> Now, repent!  :-)
>
> Jon
>
> Marc A. Schindler wrote:
>
> I think it's time I correct an impression that I somehow have an anti-US
> bias. I can see how that would come out, and those of you who know me

> <delete

> nterests. That example is Saudi Arabia. Now all of a sudden we're
> realizing that the Saudis aren't our buddies. But the Saudi royal family
> has gone out of its way to cooperate with the US, as I think most of you
> know. One of life's delicious ironies is that after fundamentalists
> attacked US barracks in the Eastern Province (where Riyadh, Dhahran,
> al-Khobar and Dammam are), a new base was built for them in the desert,
> far from populated areas. The idea being that this wouldn't grate on the
> nerves of locals who resent the presence of "infidels" in the land of
> the two shrines. The irony? The base was built by a subsidiary of SGB --
> Saudi Group Binladen, the construction firm founded by Osama bin Laden's
> father, Mohammed. There's no link between SGB and Osama bin Laden per se
> anymore, I just thought it was an interesting irony.

This policy that the Saudis have of trying to buy off Islamic fundamentalists has
been coined by some unknown wit as "riyalpolitik".

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the
worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly
debated…To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was
a coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly
character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was
totally unfitted for action.” – Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by
Thucydides in “The Peloponessian Wars”