Steven Montgomery wrote:

> At 06:35 PM 10/21/2002, you wrote:
> >Steven, Cliff can speak for himself, but I for one will not be intimidated by
> >spiritual harrassment. My testimony is not up to you to define with
> >idiosyncratic
> >and isolated proof-texts.  In any case, the claim wasn't whether Castro *said*
> >he'd been a Communist all his life, it's whether it was a fact or not.
> >Naturally
> >by 1962 he would have said something like this because he'd signed the
> >treaty of
> >friendship with the Soviet Union. This is the second time I've addressed this.
> >You can choose to believe me or not, but the courtesy of a response would be
> >appreciated, rather than just repeating the same old charge.
> >
> >Just think: Cuba could have been a democracy except for your meddling.
>
> Right. And Fidel Castro was the George Washington of Cuba. NOT!

Never said he was. You're evading the question I'm raising.

> I've already showed you where there was overwhelming evidence that when
> Fidel Castro took power in January 1959 that he had been a Communist agent
> at least since 1948, when he led a bloody Communist uprising in Bogota,
> Colombia. It is common practice among revolutionaries to pretend they are
> "democratic" in order to help them slide into power. Once in power Castro's
> true colors came out.

Straw man, Steven. I have never tried to argue that Castro is not Communist, is not
a dictator. We are talking right past each other. I'm admitting all the bad things
you are saying about him, but saying that the US had a large -- indeed, the major
-- part to play in paving the way for him to come to power. You could have
prevented it by nurturing democracy but you chose instead to nurture tyranny. I
don't care what colour you paint the giant bronze statue in the town square --
Communist red is the same as Fascist brown  or Plutocratic green and gold in my
books.

--
Marc A. Schindler

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the
worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly
debated…To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was a
coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly
character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was
totally unfitted for action.” – Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by
Thucydides in “The Peloponessian Wars”

solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the author’s employer, nor
those of any organization with which the author may be associated.