Only if you disagree with the view of middle-class conservative USAmericans, it
would seem to me, from some of the responses to bare [ooh, there's that naughty
word again] facts of history.

Jon Spencer wrote:

> Does this mean that I am a nakedly polytheistic brother of Satan?
>
> Cool!  I never thought about it that way.
>
> But as I grow older, I have a harder and harder time twisting.  Does that
> mean I will someday lose my temple recommend?
>
> Jon
>
> > So when the anti-Mormons say, "Those twisted Mormons get NAKED in their
> > temples! And they're POLYTHEISTS, like Hindus! And they teach that Jesus
> > and Satan are BROTHERS!", your response is to say, "Yup, you're
> > absolutely right, no arguments here"? Or do you concede that the
> > messenger's presentation may indeed severely color the message?

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the
worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly
debated…To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was
a coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly
character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was
totally unfitted for action.” – Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by
Thucydides in “The Peloponessian Wars”