Actually I had posted this because some people had voiced doubts about whether
you could be a good member and a Democrat. This idea is often attributed to a
well-known GA.

Steven Montgomery wrote:

> >So, Steven. Are you going to follow the (living) brethren or the (dead)
> >brother? This kind of interview must really make those who have trouble
> >seeing things in other than black and white, really sweat.
> >
> >--
> >Marc A. Schindler
>
> Doesn't make me sweat. I actually agree with Elder Marlin K. Jensen and
> have used this same interview myself on occasion. I recall that Congressman
> Larry P. McDonald was also a democrat and the President of the John Birch
> Society!  Too bad that the Soviets took him out.

Was he LDS? (just curious; I know the incident you're talking about. I also know
there's absolutely no proof that he was "taken out" -- that's an old canard,
although I'm not surprised it's still quacking in certain circles).

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the
worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly
debated…To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was
a coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly
character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was
totally unfitted for action.” – Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by
Thucydides in “The Peloponessian Wars”