When people commit what I call "spiritual harrassment" by claiming that
the views of a particular general authority are doctrinal, and lose all
sense of balance, promoting almost solely the views of whatever that
person wrote, and challenging critics' support of the Church when they
object, I respond with this warning of developing the cult of
personality.

Here's a commentary on I Corinthians 1:10: [Sidney Sperry, "Paul's Life
and Letters"): 119

II. The body of the epistle (1:10-15:58)
A. Corinthian weaknesses and vices (1:10-6:20)
1. Party cliques and factions (1:10-4:21)
a. The Apostle entreats the Corinthians to avoid disputes and divisinos
and be in harmony in their minds and judgments. Their breaking up into
cliques as followers of Paul, Apollos, Cephas and Christ is condemned,
because all of them received the same baptism and Christ is not divided
(1:10-16).

Can we liken this to our own day? do we create personality cults instead
of reading what all of the brethren have written, and avoid personal
idiosyncratic and extreme interpretations?

--
Marc A. Schindler

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and
deeds; the worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences
have been properly debated…To think of the future and wait was merely
another way of saying one was a coward; any idea of moderation was just
an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly character; ability to understand a
question from all sides meant that one was totally unfitted for action.”
– Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by Thucydides in “The
Peloponessian Wars”

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the
author solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the
author’s employer, nor those of any organization with which the author
may be associated.