We learn in D&C 107 that an apostle is a high priest, and although there
are 15 ordained as apostles, technically it is a superset of high priest.
Note the official title of the prophet of the Church:

64 Then comes the High Priesthood, which is the greatest of all.
65 Wherefore, it must needs be that one be appointed of the High
Priesthood to preside over the priesthood, and he shall be called
President of the High Priesthood of the Church;
66 Or, in other words, the Presiding High Priest over the High Priesthood
of the Church.

You are right, a stake president cannot call another. Why? Because he
does not have jurisdiction over that other area. However, if the Prophet
were to delegate such authority, it could occur in the future. There was
a time when only Apostles could ordain patriarchs. Then it was given to
the Seventy to do it. Now a stake president can ordain a patriarch. More
and more keys are being delivered to stake presidents, making them more
and more autonomous.

There is a key in that. Some day the stakes may not have access to the
prophet's voice and will be forced to be autonomous. A stake president
has many of the keys given him from the prophet, but not all,  because he
does not require them at this time.

What will happen during the Millennium when each stake may have its own
temple? I would believe that stake presidents will be given the keys to
manage the temple therein. And the future keys of resurrection will very
possibly be shifted down from the prophet (when he receives them) to the
stake presidents to organize the work in their own areas.

K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Stephen:
No. Currently, one must be an apostle. A stake president cannot call and
set apart another stake president.