Jim, your cynical lack of faith in mankind leaves me shocked and
appalled. I'll have you know that I just borrowed $25k to help out
another poor Nigerian in a similar circumstance. I did it mostly out of
the goodness of my heart, but frankly I expect a five MILLION (that's
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmillion -- WOW!) dollar payoff by the end of the week.
But I guess that's the difference between us; I'm a trusting and
guileless soul looking to do good in the world, so naturally good things
come back to me a thousandfold.

I'll let you know when my bank account fattens up so you can rejoice
with me in the great blessings that grow from my trusting, selfless
nature.

$tephen

Jim Cobabe wrote:

> An interesting note in my mailbox today...
>
> Since I'm already independently wealthy, I have no interest in this
> unique investment opportunity.  No need to be selfish, I said to myself.
>
>  Perhaps someone else could benefit from the promised 5 million dollars.
>
> In all honesty, even if these crooks delivered on their promises, I
> figure the government and my exwife would claim all the money, leaving
> me with only the legal liability and bureacratic snarls.
>
> But I was wondering--where exactly is Lagos?  Sounds like a toy for
> children.
>
> ;->
>

> ----Included Text----
>
>  CONFIDENTIAL
>

> 25 randle Street,
> victoria Island,
> Lagos.
>

> IFax:17756401249
>
>  30/10/2002
>
> ATTN:THE PRESIDENT/CEO
>
> FROM:JOHN MAYAKI.
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> I would like to firstly send to you the best wishes of good
> health and success in your pursuits particularly through
> my proposal as contained in this letter.
>
> Before going into details of my proposal to you, I must
> first implore you to treat with the utmost confidentiality
> as this is required for its success and to have faith in
> this transaction,for opportunities
> like this only comes to one once in a life time.
>
> My colleagues and I are senior officials of the Federal
> Government of my country's Contracts Review Panel (CRP) who
> are interested in diverting some funds that are presently
> floating in the accounts of the Apex Bank of my country.In
> order to commence this transaction,
> we solicit for your assistance to enable us transfer into
> your nominated account the said floating funds. We are
> determined to conclude the transfer before the end of this
> quarter of 2002.
> The source of the funds are as follows: During the last
> military regime in my country,government officials set up
> companies and awarded themselves contracts that were
> grossly over-invoiced in various ministries and
> parastatals.The present civilian government set up the
> Contract Review Panel, which has the mandate to use the
> instruments of payments made available to it by the decree
> setting up the panel, to review these contracts and if
> necessary pay those who are being owed outstanding amounts.
>
> My colleagues and I have identified quite a huge sum of
> these funds which are presently floating in our (Apex)
> Central Bank ready for disbursement and would like to
> divert some of it for our own purposes. However, by virtue
> of our positions as civil servants
> and members of this panel, we cannot acquire these funds
> in our names or in the names of companies that are based
> in my country. I have therefore been mandated,as a matter
> of trust by my colleagues in
> the panel, to look for a reliable overseas partner into
> whose account we can transfer the sum of
> [...]

Stephen