That's why I included "opportunities" as part of the list. You have to make due
with limitations placed on your talents, and "lack of opportunity" is the flip side
of opportunity. Why do we have proportionately fewer serious music composers today
than in the 18th and early 19th century, for example? Fewer talented people?

Stacy Smith wrote:

> What are we to do if our talents are being hindered?
>
> Stacy.
>
> At 07:58 PM 11/05/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >This is true. Each has their own challenges, opportunities, talents, gifts and
> >assignments in life. This is what I get from what Paul says in I
> >Corinthians 13.
> >YOUR challenge and MY challenge are to use those to the best of our
> >advantage. I
> >learned a very interesting lesson recently. I've been going through a
> >great deal
> >of physical pain due to some neurological problems (among other things I had a
> >blood clot on the brain, between the surface and the lining of the brain,
> >called a
> >subdural haematoma, which they say is one of the most painful things a
> >person can
> >experience, along with childbirth and kidney stones). A neuropsychologist
> >(who is
> >a diagnostician, not a counsellor) told me that I would probably have this
> >difficulty, due to brain damage in the parietal pre-frontal lobe of my
> >brain, for
> >quite some time, and I had to learn to separate pain itself, which I can't do
> >anything about (beyond analgaesic relief) and "suffering" which he defined
> >as my
> >reaction to pain. He told me to take more "social risks" and if I have a
> >seizure
> >in public, well, so what of it? Other people's reaction to it is their
> >problem.
> >
> >Now let's turn that around. If you have a talent, you have a responsibility to
> >magnify it. Other people, who may not have that talent, should not envy
> >you for
> >it, but should be glad for you, and should not react negatively when you
> >succeed
> >in that area. We put a lot of barriers in our own way, and often attempt
> >to put
> >barriers in other people's lives, too. Don't let anyone put barriers in
> >your way.
> >
> >And what I've said goes for Gary, too. I'm sure I'm not telling any of you
> >anything you don't already know, but this is by way of encouragement.
> >
> >Stacy Smith wrote:
> >
> > > Not all of us are required to prove theories.
> > >
> > > Stacy.
> > >
> > > At 03:55 PM 11/04/2002 -0900, you wrote:
> > >
> > > >After much pondering, Gary Smith favored us with:
> > > >>No, it is postulating a theory. Once a theory is set out for all to read,
> > > >>then it is up to the rest of us to disprove the theory by testing it
> > > >>against known evidences. That does not yet make it a fact, as future
> > > >>evidence can always refute a theory. Without theories, we would not
> > > >>advance in science or knowledge. The danger comes when we convince
> > > >>ourselves that a theory is a fact, when in fact, it isn't.
> > > >
> > > >So basically what you are saying is that I can forward any way out weird
> > > >theory, maybe like something that Velikovsky or von Daniken might write,
> > > >and the burden of proof is on us to use evidence to showing how wrong
> > > >headed my theory is.
> > > >
> > > >I disagree that a person can responsibly postulate a theory and then
> > > >expect it to be accepted unless someone can disprove it.  Even a theory
> > > >needs to be supported with some kind of evidence.  Otherwise it isn't even
> > > >a theory, just a wild speculation.
> > > >
> > > >John W. Redelfs                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > >===========================================
> > > >You know what would make a good story?  Something
> > > >about a clown who make people happy, but inside he's
> > > >real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea. --Jack Handy
> > > >===========================================
> > > >All my opinions are tentative pending further data. --JWR
> > > >
> > > >///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> > //////
> > > >///  ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at  ///
> > > >///  http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html      ///
> > > >///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> > //////
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >---
> > > >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
> > > >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> > > >Version: 6.0.399 / Virus Database: 226 - Release Date: 10/09/2002
> > >
> > >
> > /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> > > ///  ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at  ///
> > > ///  http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html      ///
> > >
> > /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> > >
> >
> >--
> >Marc A. Schindler
> >Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada -- Gateway to the Boreal Parkland
> >
> >“The first duty of a university is to teach wisdom, not a trade;
> >character, not
> >technicalities. We want a lot of engineers in the modern world, but we
> >don’t want
> >a world of engineers.” ­ Sir Winston Churchill (1950)
> >
> >Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the author
> >solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the author’s
> >employer,
> >nor those of any organization with which the author may be associated.
> >
> >/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> >///  ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at  ///
> >///  http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html      ///
> >/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> >
> >${list_promo}
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >---
> >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
> >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> >Version: 6.0.399 / Virus Database: 226 - Release Date: 10/09/2002
>
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> ///  ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at  ///
> ///  http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html      ///
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>

--
Marc A. Schindler
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada -- Gateway to the Boreal Parkland

“The first duty of a university is to teach wisdom, not a trade; character, not
technicalities. We want a lot of engineers in the modern world, but we don’t want a
world of engineers.” – Sir Winston Churchill (1950)

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the author
solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the author’s employer, nor
those of any organization with which the author may be associated.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///  ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at  ///
///  http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html      ///
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

==^^===============================================================
This email was sent to: archive@jab.org

EASY UNSUBSCRIBE click here: http://topica.com/u/?aaP9AU.bWix1n.YXJjaGl2
Or send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A -- Register now to manage your mail!
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag02/register
==^^===============================================================


Reply via email to