Paul points out that these types of miracles tend to accompany the very beginning
of a new dispensation, but then are inappropriate (when you read all of I
Corinthians 13 you'll see that he's saying that signs and miracles aren't as
important at that point than Christlike love). I think we see that now, too. What
would happen if an elderly lady stood up in your next fast & testimony meeting
and started talking in tongues? I dare say the bishop would call 911.

Dan R Allen wrote:

> After much pondering, Dan R Allen favored us with:
> >I'm saying that it should not be absolutely _necessary_ for God to have
> >parted the Red Sea, a'la Charlton Heston, to have a testimony that He
> >guided the Israelites across it. The fact that He helped them cross the
> Red
> >Sea is literal, but the exact means described may or may not be symbolic,
> >and shouldn't be the basis for a testimony of His power. Could He have
> done
> >it? Without a doubt. Was it absolutely necessary for Him to prove His
> power
> >to the Israelites in that specific way? Perhaps for them, but not for me.
>
> John:
> How do you apply this reasoning to Jesus calling Lazarus forth from his
> tomb, or raising the daughter of Jairus?  Maybe these two were not really
> dead, but by the power of God they recovered while if it hadn't been for
> the blessing they would have died?  Is that what you believe? I personally
> believe that God performs miracles just like the parting of the Red Sea in
> our own day.  I predict we will be able to see those miracles in profusion
> as this last dispensation draws to a close.  If an all out germ war ever
> occurs, there will be people dying everywhere of diseases for which there
> is no cure and which are 100 percent fatal.  In that day, the priesthood
> will have to perform healing blessing far more miraculous than are the norm
>
> in our own day.  Why?  Because in the economy of God's dealings with man,
> he is not accustomed to doing for man what man can do for himself with a
> little divine help.  After all, it was the Lord who inspired the current
> medical technology.  Why shouldn't he expect us to use it so far as we can?
>
> Dan:
> Would they have been any less dead at that time then if modern medicine
> might have shown some spark of life? Would what Jesus did be any less of a
> miracle? I don't think so. In any case, we are arguing two different things
> here.
> I believe that God performs miracles today to John, but where are the
> explicit examples of miracles like the Red Sea and Jericho today? The
> closest examples I know of are the exodus from Nauvoo and the crickets. In
> both cases the way He chose to act is much more subtle than that described
> in the Old Testament. Why? Are we somehow less deserving of such a miracle
> today than they were then? Again, I don't think so. You actually hint at a
> pretty good answer to your challenge with this statement: "Because in the
> economy of God's dealings with man, he is not accustomed to doing for man
> what man can do for himself with a little divine help." Why did God cause a
> late freeze when a simple parting of the waters would have worked just as
> well?
> But getting back to what made me get into this discussion in the first
> [...]

“Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick
himself up and continue on” – Winston Churchill