If Satan can't intimidate or bully us with physical trials, he'll often
try to fool us with substitute issues and programs. He would like us to
invest our time, talents, and energy in causes that are not the cause of
Zion, in the hope they may ultimately replace our commitment to the
gospel. Often these other concerns are valid and worthwhile. That is
irrelevant. The deception comes in giving these concerns a higher
priority in our lives than our gospel covenants and thus to prove
unfaithful to our first love, who is Christ. Those who are fooled in
this way usually feel the Church is not doing enough in the area of
their pet concerns. They may become disenchanted with the program of the
Church and begin to follow "alternate voices." These
members do not lack zeal; indeed, they are often strong enough to endure
tremendous trials. But Satan has diverted their zeal to the defense of
other causes instead of Zion, and they don't perceive that their
shifting loyalty is really unfaithfulness. Those so deceived do not
generally reject Christ; they just decide to interpret his will
differently or to serve him in different ways or according to new
standards and values, and their original commitments take a backseat to
their new agenda. In essence, they change their spiritual compass
headings. But the truth is that they couldn't be trusted to hold their
original course and keep their original commitments. They didn't endure.
(Stephen E. Robinson, Following Christ.)