I just read the trip reports, on another list, of Lou Midgely and Eldon Watson
and their spouses, who both took lengthy trips to China, from Beijing down to
Chongqing (what we used to call, in English, Chungking), and over to Shanghai.
Shanghai is a real Manhattan these days -- it looks like something out of a SF
movie with its very imaginative skyscrapers all over the place. The Pearl River
Delta region, from Guangdong (formerly Canton) to Hong Kong and Macau constitutes
an area of 30 million people who are integrating an export-oriented high-tech
economy. Villages spring up overnight from 100 people to 80 000 people (well, not
overnight, but in the course of a year, in the case of a suburb of Shenzhen).
It's an exciting area to be watching these days.  Does Topica accept attachments?
If so, I'll ask Eldon for permission to show two of his pictures from Shanghai.

"John W. Redelfs" wrote:

> After much pondering, Gary Smith favored us with:
> >We had gone through 5 years of war, with our allies having gone through
> >more. Japan was enslaving the peoples of China and Korea, using the women
> >for all kinds of unspeakable things. Japan tortured our American soldiers
> >they captured. 20 million Russian allies died because of Hitler. Hitler
> >had slaughtered 6 million Jews. Millions of soldiers had died on all
> >fronts.  We wanted the war to end. I mean, Germany had surrendered, and
> >Japan insisted on continuing the fight they had started.
>
> By some estimates as many as 75 million Chinese died during Mao's cultural
> revolution.  It is hard for me to imagine that China under Japanese rule
> would have been any more horrendous and probably less so.  This is one of
> my reasons for believing the USA should be neutral in these foreign wars
> and keep our troops home in case we should ever need them.  Whenever we
> meddle in the internal affairs of other nations, we never know what the
> outcome would have been if we had not become involved.  Why save the people
> of  nation X from nation Y if the government of nation X is just a
> totalitarian dictatorship anyway?
>
> It isn't that the USA should not enforce a peace in the world, it
> cannot.  There are going to be wars and atrocities throughout the world
> until the Lord comes in the clouds of heaven.
> And when we prop up an unelected, totalitarian dictatorship, to what extent
> to we become guilty of the atrocities committed by the dictatorship?
>
> One of the things that I learned from watching Wagner's Niebelungenlied a
> number of years ago is that it is the game of the nations of Europe to gain
> hegemony over their enemies by entering into treaties.  By the making of
> treaties, wicked men such as Napoleon and Hitler have sought to
> conquer.  It is not of God.  And undoubtedly this is why we here in the USA
> wanted independence.  We fought a War of Independence.  Independence from
> whom.  Great Britain only?  No, we sought to be independent among all the
> nations of the earth.  We wanted to be free to create our own little
> paradise, or not, right here in the Americas.  That is what the Monroe
> Doctrine was all about.
>
> Why did the Father of our Country, George Washington warn us against
> "entangling alliances?"  He knew that if we became involved in such
> alliances we would be a nation of near constant war, just as the rest of
> the nations are.
>
> Some time before the Second Coming, Zion will reign here upon the American
> continent.  And it will be independent of every creature under heaven.  The
> righteous will flow unto Zion, and the wicked will avoid us in fear.  Does
> anyone suppose that in that day Zion will be involved in these entangling
> alliances?
>
> The Great Jehovah is going to create a lasting peace on this earth.  He is
> going to champion the downtrodden, and lift up the weak things of the
> [...]

“Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick
himself up and continue on” – Winston Churchill