I understand that the Church does not endorse any political policy,
except in cases where a moral issue is involved.  There is a strong
effort to avoid the suggestion that the platform of a particular
political party represents or has the unilateral backing of the Church.
This has been the policy of the Church as long as I have been aware.

I do not recall any general Church statments from the First Presidency
that have mentioned any particular concern or direction with regard to
partisan politics.  It has long been my impression that we should
deliberate on important political matters independent of any partisan
considerations.  To fulfill this directive Church members are encouraged
to be personally involved in local politics.  That has been the extent
of the counsel.

Elder Jensen, a Church General Authority and Utah Democrat, in a
statement to the media, reemphasized this point.  He also shared a
personal concern of "some of the brethren" about the possible unwanted
ill effects stemming from lack of political diversity in the Utah
political scene.  He expressed the thought that it was unfortunate for
Church members to have unjustified negative impressions of the
Democratic party, since some good people choose to affiliate therein.h
He did not, however, suggest in any way for members to support
Democratic partisan policy, split themselves evenly between parties,
join the Democrats, or vote for Democrat candidates, since that would
have contradicted other points of his statement, and the long-standing
general counsel.  Elder Jensen did not elaborate about which "brethren"
he was referring to, nor did he develop this thought much further, and I
don't recall any other statements from the Church augmenting his brief
reference.

What I got from his statement was that it's just fine for Church members
to be Democrats, if they so choose.  And it's also fine if they choose
something else.

---
Mij Ebaboc