The journalist in me insists that an article as significant as
this one requires some independent verification.  This is ever
more hard to do, but still possible, and the best place to start
is with the source of the original information, which usually
gives clues to its validity.

Look at the title and author of the article:

THE ROVING EYE
Apocalypse Now, or Alottanukes Soon
By Pepe Escobar

"Alottanukes Soon" is not the sort of title I would expect to
see in a professional magazine or journal.  It is the sort of
title I would expect my friends to make up when joking around
on a weekend evening.  This, in and of itself, of course does
not make the article untrue.  It is just a flag.

Here is a better flag:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/DK15Aa01.html

Asia Times
Front Page
Article withdrawn.

This article was based on an interview that appears to have been
a hoax. For more information, please click on the link
http://antivirus.about.com/library/hoaxes/bljazeera.htm

Asia Times Online
6306 The Center
Queen’s Road, Central
Hong Kong

My next step would have been to verify whether or not this is a
legitimate publication:

"... the prestigious Arab-language daily Al Quds Al Arabi,
edited in London, but it was not printed."

An article such as this one would most certainly have been
printed if it could have been verified.  I did not bother to
check to see if Al Quds Al Arabi is real or not.

And to have printed this disclaimer

"Asia Times Online has obtained a copy of the interview, and
reproduces excerpts here, with the caveat that the identity
of the man has not yet been confirmed, nor has his membership
within al-Qaeda."

is irresponsible journalism, IMO.  A reputable publisher would
have insisted on some form of confirmation.

Finally, a search of the internet will show there are several
different variations of this interview out there, similar in
substance and differing in detail.

It's the details that are important and that give the best clues.

Larry Jackson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com