If you want to learn more about trinitarianism (albeit from an LDS pov, where I
attack it), I've written 2 versions out of a planned series of 3. The first was
printed in FAIR's early series of monthly newsletters, and was the "short"
version. The "medium" version is on my website at
http://www.members.shaw.ca/mschindler/C/trinity_1.html  I've promised FAIR a
"long" version eventually, but it's taking time (well, it *is* the long version,
after all, and I want to make sure I understand some of the twists and turns the
doctrine has taken in its long and confusing history before I try to attack it)

Jon Spencer wrote:

> I checked at our store today, and lo and behold, we do have the book "How
> Greek Philosophy Corrupted the Christian Concept of God."  I added it to our
> website, with the following description (actually, only the first two
> paragraphs would fit - but you get all three!).  It is a very good book,
> well worth the reading.
>
> Jon
>
> "How Greek Philosophy Corrupted the Christian Concept of God" brings
> profound new insights to the Trinitarian doctrines of "orthodox"
> Christianity. With clear and precise documentation, the book shows how these
> doctrines migrated into early Christianity from Greek philosophy. The
> various aspects of Trinitarian belief are isolated, linked to their Greek
> sources, and carefully analyzed to show how they differ radically from
> biblical teaching.
>
> The writings of early Church Fathers, portrayed in their historical context,
> show that during the second century theological concepts taught in Platonism
> were adopted as Christians struggled to end Roman persecution.  Emperor
> Marcus Aurelius, a famous Stoic philosopher, was putting Christians to death
> because their beliefs did not conform to the Hellenized religion of the day.
> The book shows that the early Church Fathers sought to save their people's
> lives by re-defining the Christian God in Greek terms.  Their efforts
> brought metaphysics to Christianity and ushered in concepts like the
> Trinity.
>
> After presenting the historical setting in which these philosophical errors
> were embraced as Christian doctrine, the book compares orthodox Christian
> theology today, called "classical theism," to biblical teachings.  The book
> identifies how Greek philosophy has influenced each of the major attributes
> of God taught in classical theism.  Modern theologians are challenged on
> numerous doctrinal points that found their way from Greek philosophy into
> ancient creeds, but are found wanting in the light of careful theological,
> historic and scientific analysis.  This book constitutes a major challenge
> to those who accept the tenants of classical theism, but do not know the
> many aspects of their doctrine that are based on Greek philosophy.

“Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick
himself up and continue on” – Winston Churchill