-Stephen-
> I would be surprised if any man or woman can name something that
> God cannot do, whether because of the limitations of "natural
> law" or anything else, that doesn't fall into this class of
> false-by-definition.

-Chet-
> He cannot lie.
> He cannot disobey any of his own commandments.
> He cannot go back on his word.
> These are not false-by-definition

On the contrary, they are false by definition, or else false by wording
choice. Here is the logic:

"God cannot lie" means either 1) God is incapable of lying, that is, he
does not possess the moral capacity to tell an untruth or lead others
astray through false communication; or, 2) God constantly and
unfailingly chooses not to lie, at the peril of his very existence as
God.

In the former case, this is not an "inability" with God. Rather, it is a
linguistic trick acknowledging God's perfect status; he is a Being in
whom all truth independently dwells. He *cannot* lie, because whatever
he says is, by definition, true. Saying in such a situation that God is
"unable to lie" is clearly a verbal joust along the lines of saying that
God is "unable to make a stone so big he can't lift it". In this case,
the idea is certainly false by definition -- God's word itself being
defined as truth.

In the latter case, saying "God cannot lie" is really another way of
saying "God will not lie", since those who hold to idea #2 impute to God
the ability to sin. It's not correct to say he "can't" in the sense of
"it's outside his ability", but merely means he "can't" in the sense
that "he will cease to exist as God if he does". This, then, is not an
example of something God is actually unable to do, but rather an example
of something God merely refuses to do. (I personally do not hold to this
latter line of argument, but the point is, even if you do, you can't use
it as an example of something God "can't" do, except in a verbal
sleight-of-hand.)

Stephen