Kent:

Interesting and provocative commentary.  But, I will point out that my own
children attended public schools in Connecticut from pre-k through high
school in Wesport, Ct., arguably the most liberal school system in the state
(as you doubtlessly know, Kent).  They were NOT exposed to the things your
children were (apparently). Moreover, whenever "sensitive" information was
to be discussed ("sex, pre-marital sex, birth control etc.) the schools
ALWAYS sent home notes to parents advising them of the forthcoming lessons
and of their rights to forego these sessions (many did). As for teaching
values in the schools: I attended a number of the "open circle" session
myself and monitored them thereafter.  I found that they focused mainly on
helping children resolve issues with their peers: teaching tolerance and
respect for others.  In short, I had no problem with the system in
Connecticut.

However, it does make me a little edgy that at my daughters fancy/schmancy
private elementary school in Massachusetts one does not often hear real
Christmas carols being sung.  Lots of schmaltzy Christmas music, but few
real ones.  That is changing, happily as people get more comfortable with
the notion that diversity and tolerance do not need to add-up to mush music
and even mushier religions.

Ron Scott