I believe President Hinkley's remarks on this issue succinctly and
precisely outline the present direction of church policy on the marriage
controversy.  The church is actively pursuing every means to defend
traditional marriage, including representation in the courts and support
for individual and group efforts to oppose the legalization of same-sex
marriage.  It would seem that we are not justified in failing to pursue
these efforts, regardless of our regard for the chance of success or
failure.  President Hinckley explains our rationale for such efforts --

God-sanctioned marriage between a man and a woman has been the basis of
civilization for thousands of years. There is no justification to
redefine what marriage is. Such is not our right, and those who try will
find themselves answerable to God.

Some portray legalization of so-called same-sex marriage as a civil
right. This is not a matter of civil rights; it is a matter of morality.

Others question our constitutional right as a church to raise our voice
on an issue that is of critical importance to the future of the family.
We believe that defending this sacred institution by working to preserve
traditional marriage lies clearly within our religious and
constitutional prerogatives. Indeed, we are _compelled_ by our doctrine
to speak out...

...I commend those of our membership who have voluntarily joined with
other like-minded people to defend the sanctity of traditional marriage.
 (Gordon B. Hinckley, “Why We Do Some of the Things We Do,” Ensign, Nov.
1999)