Hi Jasper,

> I have a domain but my registrar dosn't do dnssec so i use the isc dlv
> system to publish my KSK.
>
> This all works ok.

> my current KSK is nearing the end of it's life so i want to do the ksk
> rollover and get the new ksk in the isc dlv system.
To be honest, there is no _need_ (by the DNSSEC protocol) to do a
regular KSK rollover. It's up to you to use the key for a longer period
if you like.

But anyway, I never tried a KSK rollover with ISC DLV, but it should
work nearly in the same way as with a parent domain.

First of all, there are three dedicated options to help you to do a KSK
rollover. Please have a look at "zkt-keyman --ksk-rollover" how to use it.
> afaict the sequence is something like:
>
> # generate new ksk
> zkt-keyman -k -C pointless.net
> # and resign and reload zone
> zkt-signer -r -v -v
Now you have a so called "standby key" created.
A standby key is a pre-published KSK. It is useful for an emergency
rollover, because you do not have to wait for the propagation of the new
key.

> # find keyid and publish (?) (not needed?)
> zkt-keyman -P <keyid>
> # and resign and reload zone
> zkt-signer -r -v -v
This is not needed (see above), but you have to wait for propagation of
the key plus DNSKEY ttl.

> # give DS etc to upper zones, wait for propergation/ttl etc.
> # after waiting make new key active
> zkt-keyman -A <keyid>
> # and resign and reload zone
> zkt-signer -r -v -v
You should first activate the key, which means signing the DNSKEY RRset
with both KSKs, and then (after waiting) *replace* the old DS (or DLV
record) with the new one. You are using two keys for a while, but the
parent has just one DS record.

> # wait for propergation/ttl etc.
> # now depreciate the old key
> zkt-keyman -D <oldkeyid>
> # and resign and reload zone
> zkt-signer -r -v -v

> I've done the first step and i can see the DNSKEY record with dig and so can
> dnsvis
> etc.
>
> zkt-ls shows it in 'sta' state
This means "standby".

> If I try to publish the new key i get:
>
> zkt-keyman: Couldn't change status of key 16611: 1
That's ok, because the key is already published (sorry for the really
meaningless error message).

> looking in the dir i see:
>
> Kpointless.net.+005+16611.key
> Kpointless.net.+005+16611.published
>
> so it's there, but .published rather then .private?
Yes, that means that the key will not be used by zkt-signer (or
dnssec-signzone) for signing.

> Looking through the source that means it's already published.
Yes, that's right.

> ISC DLV system can see the key, and can fetch it etc, but it complains that:
>
> 4.208:INFO VERIFY-DNSKEY: 1 keys found after filtering.
> 4.208:DEBUG VERIFY-DNSKEY: Using keys:
> 4.209:DEBUG VERIFY-DNSKEY: tag=16611 flags=257 alg=RSASHA1
> BQEAAAAB...g0n0rOBbw==
> 4.209:DEBUG VERIFY-DNSKEY: To verify rrset type DNSKEY
> 4.212:FAILURE DNSKEY signature verification failed: Signing key not found
It seems that ISC tries to verify that you are already using the DNSKEY,
so they want to prevent to install a DLV which points to a not used
DNSKEY, which is far good.
> Looking with dig (as far as i can tell) the rrsig's use the existing ksk and
> zsk.
>
> So is there some bit in the dnskey record that needs setting?
No, just activate the key.

> I guess that i can go ahead and activate it, but I want to check that that
> won't replace the existing key.
No, instead the DNSKEY RRSet will be signed by two key signing keys.

> Presumably it's ok to have 2 KSK's for a short time?
Yes, of course. Because of this, the rollover is called a "double
signature" rollover.

Be aware that during the KSK rollover, the DNSKEY RRSet has at least
three DNSKEY's (maybe more if a ZSK rollover is ongoing) plus two RRSIG
records, so the size of the DNSKEY RRset is maybe to big to fit in a
single DNS UDP packet (depends on edns0 bufsize).