[John Belmonte]
> I'm trying to update my experimental ZODB Debian package to 3.4.0a1. The
> new change of having version numbers hard-coded in file paths within the
> source package (e.g. Dependencies/BTrees-ZODB3-3.4.0a1) is very
> troubling.

Not really new:  for ZODB it started with 3.3b1, last June.  Same kind of
deal with Zope3 too.

> This means that any patch to the upstream source I try to maintain will
> surely not apply cleanly on each new release, because file paths will
> have changed.  I've never seen this kind of practice in a source package.
> Would you please remove the version numbers from these paths?

You have to talk to Jim (Fulton) about this; it comes with using zpkg:

    http://www.zope.org/Members/fdrake/zpkgtools/

BTW, don't you install ("setup.py install") ZODB?  There shouldn't be any
paths containing version numbers in the installed tree.