Dieter Maurer wrote:
Tim Peters wrote at 2005-8-22 16:48 -0400:

Jim still wonders, and he got me wondering too, whether the `order=` gimmick
is really needed.

But, it is a very easy concept -- both easy to grasp as well as easy
to implement.

This is not sufficient IMO.

For example, you could have gotten to the same end here
with the old method, by registering your actions with an object of your own
creation, and registering just one commit hook with the transaction, where
that one hook looked at the actions you registered with your own object and
ran them in whatever order _it_ determined was best.

Now plug and play comes into play:

  Assume two packages developped by independent people
  which all want to control the order of hook execution.

Do we have evidence that such applications exist? So far, the
only example I've seen is one where an application wanted a handler
to go last. As I've pointed out in a separate note, this is achievable
without the change.

Jim