Sidnei da Silva wrote:
On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:51:16PM -0500, Tim Peters wrote:
| [Tim Peters]
| >> It's the traceback that's needed here.  You're working too hard ;-)
| | [Sidnei da Silva]
| > Indeed.
| >
| >   File "C:\Arquivos de programas\Enfold
| Server\Products\ATContentTypes\tests\atcttestcase.py", line 258, in
| test_migrationKeepsPermissions
| >     transaction.savepoint() # subtransaction
| | Bingo! That's the root cause of it all. This isn't Zope code, so I can't
| know what it's trying to accomplish.  _Why_ is this code making a savepoint?
| | Since it throws away the result of the savepoint() call, it's not possible
| to roll back to this savepoint's state later.  So the most likely reason is
| that it's just "trying to save memory".  In that case, change the code to
| | transaction.savepoint(optimistic=True) | | and your original problem will go away.

I do understand that. But that doesn't answer the original question,
which was:

 - Should Shared.DC.ZRDB.TM support (non-optimistic) savepoints?

That wasn't the original question.

The answer to this new question is no, it shouldn't, because it
can't.  Many uses of TM don;t provide for rollback.  Having noop
savepoint support would be harmful as Tim noted earlier.

It might be nice to have a new class that does provide savepoint support
and that requirs sibclasses to provide the necesssary code. This would
be useful for those relational databases that do provide savepoint support/

From what I understand, if the answer is yes then that class should be
updated to use the new datamanager API instead of the old 'register'
call, otherwise it just won't support non-optimistic savepoints at
all.

The TM class is very very old.  We should look anew at the transaction
APIs and come up with the best way to integrate data managers into it.
I don't know if the best way to do that is with a base class, or whether a
adapters would be better or ...

Jim