On Mar 21, 2007, at 9:59 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

Jim Fulton wrote:
On Mar 21, 2007, at 6:41 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

Hi All,

Is there any existing method or script for rolling back a ZODB
(filestorage-backed in this case,

Back end to what?

if that makes it easier) to a certain point in time?

Do you actually want to modify the file? Or do you simply want to
access it as of a particular time.
There is already a mechanism for opening a file storage as of a
particular time.

eg: Make this Data.fs as it was at 9am this morning

If not, I'll be writing one, where should I add it to when I'm done?

Before we talk about adding it anywhere, I'd like to see the
semantics defined more clearly.

Chris could:

  1. Open the existing file in time-travel mode (readonly, so that it
     loads no transactions later than the given point).  The 'stop'
     parameter to the FileStorage initializer is the one which
     triggers time-travel.

  2. Open a new, writable filestorage.

  3. Run 'copyTransactionsFrom' on the new storage, passing the old,
     and then close the storages.

  4. Restart his Zope with the new storage.

I wasn't asking about implementation.

Here are some questions:

- Should this create a new FileStorage? Or should it modify the existing FileStorage in place?

- Should this work while the FileStorage is being used?

- Should this behave transactional?

Jim

Powered!
CTO                             (540) 361-1714
http://www.python.org