Hi Jim

On 2007-06-11 21:39:03 +0200, Jim Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

The ZODB 3.8.0b1 release is available at:

   http://www.python.org/pypi/ZODB3/3.8.0b1

The major changes since 3.8.0a1 are in Blobs. Blobs have been re- factored a fair bit.

Some backward incompatible changes include:

- The Blob class is now imported from ZODB.blob.

- The Blob openDetached method has bee replaced by the committed method. It is now possible to get a blob file name that can be handed to external programs for reading.

- Text-mode blobs are no-longer supported. All blobs are implicitly in binary mode. There is no need to specify this in the blob open method. The valid modes, 'r', 'w', 'a', and 'r+' are all implicitly binary.

- Calling consumeFile with an open file is no-longer supported.

I've also made a 3.8 release branch. Any bug fixes should be applied to the branch, the trunk and earlier branches as appropriate. Work toward 3.9 can proceed on the trunk.

I started playing with blobs a little bit. And yes, they're working great.

But I have a few things to note:

In combination with ZEO there seem to be various ways to miss-configure the blob storage in a way where it *seems* to work. But at a point you'll get strange errors an wonder. In my case I shared the blob storage with the zeo client w/o telling the zeo client that it actually was shared.

I think this should just break, i.e. prevent the ZEO client from making a connection. This could be achieved my some marker files in the blob directory which would be created on initialization. For instance: blobs/.blob-storage or blobs/.blob-cache

This way a client would know that a directory containing the .blob-storage must be set up in shared mode.

--
Christian Zagrodnick

gocept gmbh & co. kg  ·  forsterstrasse 29 · 06112 halle/saale
www.gocept.com · fon. +49 345 12298894 · fax. +49 345 12298891