On Jun 19, 2008, at 7:38 AM, Christian Theune wrote:

Hi,

one of our installations hit a scalability limits with the current blob
directory structure.

The current structure looks like:

\blobs\
   <oid>\
       <tid>.blob
       <tid>.blob
   <oid>\
   ...\

We hit a limit with a database that contains more than 32k blob objects
because ext3 doesn't allow more than 32k entries in a directory.

We propose to introduce a new mode for the blob storage which breaks the directory structure into one level per byte of the oid. This would lead to
directories 0x00-0xFF nested in 8 levels.

+1

We propose to keep both implementations around and allow to select which one to use. We would extend the FileSystemHelper to abstract the two strategies.

-1 to making this selectable.

We would also provide a migration tool that can convert the old format to the
new format.

Maybe we can support, but deprecate the old layout and provide a conversion scriptt.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation