On 2013-11-18 17:29, Shane Hathaway wrote:
On 11/15/2013 06:01 PM, Jens W. Klein wrote:
The idea is simple:

- iterate over all transactions starting with the lowest
   transaction id (tid)
- for each transaction load the object states connected with tid
- for each state fetch its outgoing references and fill a table where
   all incoming references of an object are stored as an array.
   if an state has no references write it anyway to the table with empty
   outgoing references

I would describe the RelStorage packing algorithm with the same words,
but since you reimplemented the algorithm from scratch, you found a more
optimal implementation for your database. Good work!

Thanks for the feedback!

The only change I made is regarding to arrays - they are difficult to handle in postgres (no fun at all). It is much easier (and faster!) to add one row for each incoming reference (plus a reference to self). Deleting is now easy by fetching all references with only the self-reference and removing the objects, its left self-reference and deleting incoming references of the objects referenced by the deleted object.

My SQL was a bit rusty after zome years of ODBs. I'am sure a person with deeper SQL knowledge may optimize the queries in some way.

regards Jens
--
Klein & Partner KG, member of BlueDynamics Alliance