Hello Jim,

Op 30/06/2014 12:45, Jim Fulton schreef:
On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 4:32 AM, Frédéric Iterbeke
<frederic.iterb...@ugent.be>  wrote:
If you set pack-gc = false it's normal that nothing is removed.
No, it's not.
Well, thanks for the clarification.

If you think the code is doing something wrong and you would like to try
packing anyway, I would suggest you just comment the entire if in the
fspack.py code and try running this version. If I read the code correctly,
this would force (at least trying) a pack in any case, assuming
pack-gc=true.
Really? You're suggesting modifying the code.
Sometimes I modify code like that in isolated environments to try to patch things or debug problems. Yes, also with code I haven't written myself or reviewed from the first 'till the last line.

I did not suggest committing any change to the current codebase, if that is what you were implying.

I'm not guaranteeing anything and I'm just a zodb user though ;)
And yet you suggest modifying code you don't understand.

Amazing.
I was just trying to help. Which is the purpose of this list, is it not?
And
remember to use a copy of your data when doing stuff like this ;)
At least you suggested making a copy.
At least you tried giving a relevant answer later on in the thread.

Ever thought of the fact that the information you just gave on this list on the workings of pack, which other people are trying to comprehend and interpret right, is nowhere to be found in documentation? So users are left to find out for themselves.

Or should we all try to fully understand each letter of code in a product before using it?

It's posts like this that make me not want to try to help others anymore.

--
Frédéric Iterbeke, Universiteit Gent
Phone: 09 264 46 45