Our company's configuration management products contains a Perl script which calculates patch order based using a recursive program. I cannot share the program because it is part of our products, but I will give you the information on how it works. In each Sun patch directory after it is decompressed, there is a file called "patchinfo". This is somewhat similar to the "pkginfo" file for programs (e.g. pkgadd). In it you will find a keyword "PATCH_REQUIRES" followed by a list of patches and sometimes some "if-then-else" constructions. The "PATCH_REQUIRES" information must be installed prior to installing the or "patchadd" will fail. If you are having issues with a failed patch. Check this file, it may resolve your problem.

In your issue with 119254-19 and 118712-09 there is only a reference for in the "patchinfo" file  that patch "121333-02 must be installed prior to installing 119254-19. Hence, I believe the order is unimportant with those two patch numbers. The conflict is that "121333-02" must be installed prior to installing "119254-19".  Over a period of time, I have found several times that the patch README file is in conflict to this "patchadd" parameter file ("patchinfo") when I have done a large server migrations for Sun.

Below is the patch info file for 119254-19

patchinfo file for "119254-19 "
PATCHINFOVERSION="1.0"
PATCHID=119254-19
PATCH_CORRECTS='BaseOS.Package.Cmds-5.10 AdminInstall.Solaris.SUNWswmt-5.10'
PATCH_ARCH='sparc'
PATCH_OS='SunOS'
PATCH_OSRELEASE='5.10'
PATCH_PROPERTIES='clientusr'
PATCH_REQUIRES="121333-02"
PATCH_OBSOLETES="119015-03"

Michael Barto
Software Architect

LogiQwest Circle
LogiQwest Inc.
16458 Bolsa Chica Street, # 15
Huntington Beach, CA  92649
http://www.logiqwest.com/

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:  714 377 3705
Fax: 714 840 3937
Cell: 714 883 1949

'tis a gift to be simple
This e-mail may contain LogiQwest proprietary information and should be treated as confidential.