On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 10:01:49AM -0400, Scott Dickson - Systems Engineer
wrote:
> I am working with a customer to try to access tty devices from within a
> zone.  They are using a custom interface card for their tty devices, but
> it appears to create pretty standard device nodes and links from
> /dev/tty and /dev/cua to the devices.
>
> As a first test, just to verify the ability to add a tty to a zone, I
> created a second symlink, /dev/cua/b, that pointed to the same location
> as /dev/cua/a.  I then added this device to the zone using add device,
> set match=/dev/cua/b and restarted the zone.  I did not see the new tty
> in the zone.

that is correct.  hand created symlinks can not be added to a zone via
zonecfg(1M).  zonecfg(1M) will only add /dev devices to a zone that have
been generated by the system.

assuming that /dev/cua/a existed on the system before you started
creating links in /dev then adding that to the zone should work.

> The customer wants to take this a step further, since they use a large
> number of these tty ports in their applications.  They want to allocate
> /dev/cua/ devices to different zones.
>
> Why is this failing?  I am able to access /dev/ttya just fine in a zone.

how are the /dev entries for their devices being created?

ed