> There's one notable option you didn't list: create
> /usr/foo (where 'foo' is the directory into which this software
> installs) as a writable directory within the zone.  To do this, just
> use "add fs" to create either a lofs, ufs, or zfs mount.

Right, that's another workaround we already use for SAP installations in
/usr/sap.  Since SAP does not use pkg-files for installing this works fine.
Thanks for that hint - I've forgot to mention.

Unfortunately we have some other software in pkg-format for which no workaround
fits at all. In these cases the only solution is reinstalling local zone or -
if possible - converting /usr from inherited to plain copy.