You may want to add more information like you are creating
psets for each pool and the pset.max and pset.min of each.
Because when I create a pset without specifying them and associate it with a
pool,
the size is zero.

Also a correction. You cannot specify 50/100 shares.
Shares are relative integer values and the absolute value of shares
at any point of time can be calculated using total shares of of active entities
competing for CPUs.

I would predict that the physical utilization of project_alpha in terms
of %CPUs (as shown by prstat) would be

(0.25 of poolsize of pool_1) * 100 / 16

i.e. if the pool_1 poolsize is 4, the physical utilization would be 6.25 %

I expect that in order to have 50% utilization the objective will be set to ~50
value.
And pset.max will be set to a value more than 16.
In such a case, I would expect poold to try and give out as many cpus as
possible
to both the pools  since the utilization needs to be kept at around 50% while
the zones and projects are fully utilizing all the CPU cycles they get.

So at one point, poold should reach a static configuration with pool_default
with
only 1 CPU and the rest of them given to the two pools created.

thanks
- Amol