The only correct way to do capacity planning is to plot application throughput
with system utilization. Maybe you can run 40 Zones each with a webserver,
and a database Zone, or maybe 4. Or 1. It's completely workload dependent.

The system utilization data, without corresponding throughput and response
time values, are useless.

I don't mean to sound smug, but a given systems capacity is determined
by application-level delivered performance, not by whether mpstat(1)
indicates the CPUs have 10% idle or run queue depth.

An Oracle database workload alone could choke a SF440.
Running webservers handling dynamic content with media,
and handling 10k hits per hour is very different than simple
static content and 500 hits a week.

/jim

Dan Price wrote:
On Tue 13 Mar 2007 at 04:46PM, Morris Hooten - SLS Business Infrastructure