IHAC who is pretty excited about the clone option in Solaris 10 11/06 (U3), however they're running into problems in the execution of the clone option for zoneadm. Here are the step-by-step procedures they are following

For example they have a zone called bluto-zone1 installed already and they want to clone it. The bluto-zone1 currently has a loopback mounted filesystem called localcw, as shown below in the generated master config file

Steps:

1). zonecfg -z bluto-zone1 export -f /var/tmp/master  ( Completes OK)

2). vi /var/tmp/master
[EMAIL PROTECTED] # vi master
"master" 24 lines, 368 characters
    1  create -b
    2  set zonepath=/zones/roots/bluto-zone2
    3  set autoboot=true
    4  add inherit-pkg-dir
    5  set dir=/lib
    6  end
    7  add inherit-pkg-dir
    8  set dir=/platform
    9  end
   10  add inherit-pkg-dir
   11  set dir=/sbin
   12  end
   13  add inherit-pkg-dir
   14  set dir=/usr
   15  end
   16  add fs
   17  set dir=/usr/localcw
   18  set special=/zones/roots/bluto-zone2/localcw
   19  set type=lofs
   20  end
   21  add net
   22  set address=129.153.180.21
   23  set physical=hme0

We changed the ZONEPATH to reflect the new zonename and the IP as shown above in the file. Then saved the file.

3).  zonecfg -z bluto-zone2 -f /var/tmp/master  ( This completed OK)

4). zoneadm -z bluto-zone2 clone bluto-clone1  (This fails as shown below)

Here is the ERROR they get: could not verify fs /usr/localcw: could not access /zones/roots/bluto-zone2/localcw: No such file or directory
zoneadm: zone bluto-zone2 failed to verify

Now, I understand adding this step (mkdir -p /zones/roots/bluto-zone2/localcw), before running the zoneadm -z bluto-zone2 clone bluto-clone1) will allow the clone to work, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the word CLONE. Clone to me for example means whatever I have in this zone clone it, and I should have a identical new zone with the same stuff just a new hostname and IP. I shouldn't have to make the directory first in the ZONEPATH for it to work. I would think the /zoneadm/ with the /clone/ option should be smart enough to see that the directory /zones/roots/bluto-zone2/localcw doesn't existed and create it since I'm telling it to create the zone with theses identical attributes from the bluto-zone1.

If a customer has 50 lofs filesystems in the origainal zone, do we mean they would need to run the mkdir command 50 times. That's just silly.

Am I missing something!! Or is this the way it's supposed to work for now and it will be future releases

Cheers
Mark
<http://www.sun.com/images/l1/l1_solaris_logo.jpg> Solutions Architect / OS Ambassador
Solaris Adoption Systems Practice
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

» Source Browser <http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/>
» Get Solaris Now <http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp>

"Solaris Technology Get it Now at sun.com "
        400 Atrium Dr. 2nd Floor
Somerset, NJ 08873

(973) 582-3740 Accessline
(973) 223-3519 Mobile

http://www.sun.com
        <http://www.opensolaris.org/os/>
NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.