» Get Solaris Now <http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp>

"Solaris Technology Get it Now at sun.com "
        400 Atrium Dr. 2nd Floor
Somerset, NJ 08873

(973) 582-3740 Accessline
(973) 223-3519 Mobile

http://www.sun.com
        <http://www.opensolaris.org/os/>
NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Jerry Jelinek wrote:
Mark Huff wrote:
IHAC who is pretty excited about the clone option in Solaris 10 11/06 (U3), however they're running into problems in the execution of the clone option for zoneadm. Here are the step-by-step procedures they are following

For example they have a zone called bluto-zone1 installed already and they want to clone it. The bluto-zone1 currently has a loopback mounted filesystem called localcw, as shown below in the generated master config file

Steps:

1). zonecfg -z bluto-zone1 export -f /var/tmp/master  ( Completes OK)

2). vi /var/tmp/master
[EMAIL PROTECTED] # vi master
"master" 24 lines, 368 characters
    1  create -b
    2  set zonepath=/zones/roots/bluto-zone2
    3  set autoboot=true
    4  add inherit-pkg-dir
    5  set dir=/lib
    6  end
    7  add inherit-pkg-dir
    8  set dir=/platform
    9  end
   10  add inherit-pkg-dir
   11  set dir=/sbin
   12  end
   13  add inherit-pkg-dir
   14  set dir=/usr
   15  end
   16  add fs
   17  set dir=/usr/localcw
   18  set special=/zones/roots/bluto-zone2/localcw
   19  set type=lofs
   20  end
   21  add net
   22  set address=129.153.180.21
   23  set physical=hme0

We changed the ZONEPATH to reflect the new zonename and the IP as shown above in the file. Then saved the file.

3).  zonecfg -z bluto-zone2 -f /var/tmp/master  ( This completed OK)

4). zoneadm -z bluto-zone2 clone bluto-clone1 (This fails as shown below)

Here is the ERROR they get: could not verify fs /usr/localcw: could not access /zones/roots/bluto-zone2/localcw: No such file or directory
zoneadm: zone bluto-zone2 failed to verify

Now, I understand adding this step (mkdir -p /zones/roots/bluto-zone2/localcw), before running the zoneadm -z bluto-zone2 clone bluto-clone1) will allow the clone to work, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the word CLONE. Clone to me for example means whatever I have in this zone clone it, and I should have a identical new zone with the same stuff just a new hostname and IP. I shouldn't have to make the directory first in the ZONEPATH for it to work. I would think the /zoneadm/ with the /clone/ option should be smart enough to see that the directory /zones/roots/bluto-zone2/localcw doesn't existed and create it since I'm telling it to create the zone with theses identical attributes from the bluto-zone1.

If a customer has 50 lofs filesystems in the origainal zone, do we mean they would need to run the mkdir command 50 times. That's just silly.

Am I missing something!! Or is this the way it's supposed to work for now and it will be future releases

If I understand what your customer did, then I think you left out
a step above.  You said they changed their zonepath and IP address for
the new host.  However, based on the names above, it also looks like
they changed the lofs mounted filesystem configuration for the new zone.
This is reflected on line 18 of the configuration listing above.  If
this is the case, then the two zones do not have the same filesystem layout.

The only thing changed in line 18 from the zone that I want to clone is the zonename as shown bluto-zone2. The bluto-zone1 zone has the same lofs filesystem as shown above in line 18 just its zonename is bluto-zone1 instead.
The purpose of the zoneadm clone command is to use the original zone's
installation as the basis for the new zone. With cloning, the new zone will have the exact same filesystem contents as are on the original zone. If you change the filesystem configuration for the second zone, then that concept basically no longer makes sense. All that the clone command does is replicate the original zones contents within the new zone. It does not attempt to figure out that you made changes to the configuration and that it should somehow merge
those changes with what was in the original zone.

There is a fundamental misunderstanding in your explanation above. The zoneadm
clone command *does not* create the zone.  You have already created the
zone using the zonecfg command. The zoneadm clone command is an alternative way to install the zone using the bits from another zone as the basis for the
installation.  If the two zones are not configured the same, then a clone
installation generally cannot work.

The two zones do have the same configuration. The same lofs filesystem. That is my point. unless I physically make the directory structure as shown with mkdir -p /zones/roots/bluto-zone2/localcw the clone fails. Personally I think that's not right. Personally cloning to me, means whatever I have in X, I want th same in Y. As I mention if I have 50 zones identical configurations and before I can clone the 50 zones I need to do a mkdir, to create those filesystems, then cloning, in my opinion doesn't work.

Now, as you noted above, you can workaround this for this specific case
by creating the new filesystem that needs to be lofs mounted.  This works
since the lofs mounted data is not actually cloned during the installation.
The point here is that the clone command does not create any filesystems
that are needed for your zone configuration.  It simply replicates the
data from the first zone into the second zone.  So, the bottom line is
yes, you must manually create any filesystems that you need to have lofs
mounted into the zone. There is no zone commands that will do that for you.
In fact, you will have the same problem if you tried to just install the
zone (as opposed to cloning) since the filesystems needed for the zone
lofs mounts don't exist until you create them.
Thanks for responding Jerry!!  I appreciate it.

Jerry