Ellard Roush wrote:
> Hi,
> Solaris 10 update 4 introduced the BrandZ feature set.
> Solaris 10 update 5 will introduce more zone features.
> Today Sun Cluster requires the the Solaris 10 release be at
> least up to the Solaris 10 update 3 level.
> We are proposing to ship a new feature in Sun Cluster
> that will use the BrandZ feature set and support
> the new zone features in Solaris 10 update 5.
> Naturally, this new feature will only be operational
> when the customer installs Solaris 10 update 5.
> There are at least 2 ways to load new software.
> 1) Install the Solaris 10 update 5 release
> In this case we know that everything works fine.
> 2) Install patches for Solaris 10 update 5.
> This approach loads all of the bug fixes,
> and does not load the new packages.
> If a customer installs patches,
> will BrandZ and all the new zone features
> of Solaris 10 update 5 work ?
> Or will the customer just get the bug fixes ?
they'll get everything in this case.
127127-11/127128-11 is the u5 kernel patch that will deliver all this.
What features are you interested in.

As for installing patcehs on zones systems there are a few things they need to
be aware of.
1 install latest patch utils first (119254/119255)
2 always run patchadd -a <patch-id> first before installing the patch.

the -a does a dryrun and especially in the case of zones, will catch issues
like zones
dependency issues/unbootable zones etc. No files get modified, so it allows you
identify certain types of issues ( not all issues mind you ).
The patchadd -a output is pretty hard to parse, but make sure to examine
closely for any
issues relating to zones etc.