Hi Enda,

Enda O'Connor ( Sun Micro Systems Ireland) wrote:
> Ellard Roush wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Solaris 10 update 4 introduced the BrandZ feature set.
>> Solaris 10 update 5 will introduce more zone features.
>> Today Sun Cluster requires the the Solaris 10 release be at
>> least up to the Solaris 10 update 3 level.
>> We are proposing to ship a new feature in Sun Cluster
>> that will use the BrandZ feature set and support
>> the new zone features in Solaris 10 update 5.
>> Naturally, this new feature will only be operational
>> when the customer installs Solaris 10 update 5.
>> There are at least 2 ways to load new software.
>> 1) Install the Solaris 10 update 5 release
>> In this case we know that everything works fine.
>> 2) Install patches for Solaris 10 update 5.
>> This approach loads all of the bug fixes,
>> and does not load the new packages.
>> If a customer installs patches,
>> will BrandZ and all the new zone features
>> of Solaris 10 update 5 work ?
>> Or will the customer just get the bug fixes ?
> they'll get everything in this case.
> 127127-11/127128-11 is the u5 kernel patch that will deliver all this.
> What features are you interested in.
We are using the BrandZ framework to support a "cluster" Brand zone that
is the same as the "native" Brand zone with hooks added
for our software. For
example, we use the callbacks to learn when zones change state "up" vs
"down", while we still execute the original "native" brand functionality
in these cases.

We are going support a Zone Cluster, which is a virtual cluster,
where each virtual node is a "cluster" brand zone. This will enable
us to support cluster applications inside a zone environment.

This means that we need S10u4 in order to get the BrandZ feature set.
We also would like to support the new zone features of S10u5,
which will probably include hard caps on CPU's.

> As for installing patcehs on zones systems there are a few things they
> need to be aware of.
> 1 install latest patch utils first (119254/119255)
> 2 always run patchadd -a <patch-id> first before installing the patch.
> the -a does a dryrun and especially in the case of zones, will catch
> issues like zones dependency issues/unbootable zones etc. No files get
> modified, so it allows you to identify certain types of issues ( not all
> issues mind you ).
> The patchadd -a output is pretty hard to parse, but make sure to examine
> closely for any issues relating to zones etc.
> Enda

Thanks for the information.