I have built a little code that allows a user to request a zone from a
pre-configured pool of zones. When the user requests a zone the zone is
cloned from a base zone. The user is then free to enter the zone and is
root once inside the zone. From there the user can reboot/manage smf/etc.

I originally developed this for the Nexenta community and it was used
for sharing zone resources for package developers but it should work on
Solaris 10 just as well. This doesn't have anything to do with zone
migration or similar.

Also, the best I could find for detecting zone state changes were dtrace
scripts which did not fit any model I was willing to implement.

Cheers,
-Tim