Sorry to interrupt your discussion.

when you are discussing Puppet, are you discussing this project

http://projects.reductivelabs.com/projects/puppet

or something else?

thank you,

Jerry Kemp

On 07/10/09 07:17, Bryan Allen wrote:
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| On 2009-07-10 04:52:59, Robert Gst??hl wrote:
| | Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 04:52:59 PDT
| From: Robert Gst??hl <no-re...@opensolaris.org>
| To: zones-discuss@opensolaris.org
| Subject: [zones-discuss] Centralized Zone Management Tool
| | Hello World, | | I started to think about a centralized zone management utility / system. I know exactly one tool that does this, which is proprietary, expensive, complicated and has too much half baked features. xVM ops center doesn't do what I need either and is closed source too. | | It's time to scratch an itch. | | To further illustrate what I'm thinking about here some use cases: | | crud (create, read, update, delete) on zone configurations
| state changes of zones (boot, halt, restart, ...)
| migrate a zone from one host to another to build ha / desaster tolerant
solutions
| | administration of the underlying storage of a zone (san luns, isci, nfs, zfs, - you get the idea) is propably the toughest part, I guess keeping this out of scope in the first phase is a good idea ;) | | I'm eager to hear what you the opensolaris zone community thinks about such a tool, who would like to help me do a little initial design work in the inception phase. | | Thanks for your time and input. Regards Robert

Puppet manages zones, ZFS, NFS, and you could write providers to do the rest.

Puppet is free, well-written, and has a great dev team. It's also being
incorporated into many other management projects (like Cobbler), so you could
say it's either already or on its way to becoming an industry standard.

The DR stuff would probably be non-trivial, though in my shop I just move the
zone class to another host, boot it, it mounts the data via NFS or what have
you, and I'm done.